944s charging problems

Welcome Forums 914/924/928/944/968 Forum 944s charging problems

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  b.ing 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

b.ing
    Participant

Hi All, having a problem with the 87-944S not charging.

Just happened suddenly, went to drive the car after it sitting for a few weeks and it wouldn’t start, trickle charged it to full, started fine, runs fine, but meter show below 12-13 (more 12 than 13) during most of the drive – 45 mins or so, combined city and highway. When I turn the car off it wont start again. If I boost it or charge it, it will start and run fine, just wont re-start.

Battery is new-ish replace it this time last year.

Is this an alternator problems? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    Bill

rogerstopford
    Participant

I find the battery can be low after the car sits for a few weeks, and I have read comments about having to lock the car to minimize the draw from the security system or something…..I just use a 12v socket trickle charger if I’m leaving the car for a while. Bu then if the battery is without power after driving for a while, that sound like something is draining the battery even when running.

b.ing
    Participant

Thanks Roger, while I agree that power is being drawn while driving, should the charging system not be charging the system? With my limited mechanical knowledge, that’s what I understand that the alternator should be doing. No?

Graham Jardine
    Participant

I had a similar problem with my 944 Turbo. Mantis Racing determined that the cable from the alternator had deteriorated to the point that it wasn’t charging the battery.

Darren deRoos
    Darren deRoos
    Participant

If you have a multi-meter, check to see if the alternator is indeed charging the battery. You should see in the neighbourhood of 13.6-14.2 volts if it is charging while running. If it is not charging, there is a good chance the alternator has gone bad. Graham has a good point that it would be a good idea to check your cables as well. If cables are fine, you could remove the alternator and possibly install a new voltage regulator. I just did this on my 944 Turbo after purchasing a regulator from Autopartsway.com for $17. If this does not fix it, you alternator will need to be rebuilt or you’ll need to buy a new one.

b.ing
    Participant

Hi All, thanks for your responses on this. So as it turned out it was the cable going alternator to the battery as Graham had suggested. it just to took a bit to learn that that was what the problem was. It was pretty badly corroded and slightly frayed. it replaced and clean and tightened now, Its all done now and things are back to what they were.

Thanks Again.
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.