Fire Extinguisher

Welcome Forums Boxster / Cayman Forum Fire Extinguisher

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Larry F 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

Looking for a strategy to mount a Fire Extinguisher (meeting DE standards) in a 2006 Boxster. What have others done?

jesteves
    jesteves
    Participant

I bought a universal fire extinguisher bracket at Performance Improvements and bolted it to my passenger seat rails. it was relatively easy to mount. Metal to metal connection is what’s required.

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

The ‘Seat Bracket’ mounting is the most common method, especially for the newer cars. As “jesteves” mentioned, make sure the Fire Extinguisher Mounting Bracket is metal and not plastic.

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

Back of seat rail (and therefore behind seat) is an acceptable mounting location?

paulneto
    Participant

Mine is on the front of the passenger seat but behind is fine. It just needs to be within reach. And as Andy notes, metal on metal is the requirement. There are some factory brackets that are plastic.

See you at the track.

Wayne Spiegelberg
    Wayne Spiegelberg
    Participant

Mantis Racing has front mount brackets for $80.
    You need to be able to reach the fire extinguisher while belted in.

nowakm99
    Participant

I went with the bracket from Speedtactics for my 987 Cayman as it mounts to the rails just like the one from Mantis racing. It’s a much simpler installation than mounting it to the seats as you don’t need to remove the seats, disconnect sensor wires, etc. It can also be removed and reinstalled in under 10 minutes.

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

My seats are manual so there is a honking big lever out front. Can anybody confirm that either of these mounts works with manual seats?

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

So I bought the Mantis Racing one — just installed yesterday. It is rather crudely manufactured but seems to do the job and was relatively easy to install (provided you have the odd ball socket that fits the seat bolts — Torx E12 btw)

Larry F
    Participant

Brian, with the Mantis Racing bracket did you have to remove the seats, or was it done with the seats in place. And does it work with the manual seats? Although I don’t think anyone has ever moved the seat in my Boxster.

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

You have to remove the front bolts on the seat rail to fit the bracket underneath (there are plastic covers that need to be removed to get at the bolts – they are replaced after – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGAspMqBRk should give an idea of how to remove the covers) — once the bracket is fitted the bolts (Torx e12) are put back in through the bracket and the rail and bolted down (36 ft/lbs is the torque requirement if I recall). The seat stays in place during the process.

Yes – the bracket works with manual seats (mine are manual) — the lever to unlock and slide the seat back and forth still works as designed.

The bracket still needs an extinguisher with a metal clip down bracket. I bought a “Garrison” 2.5 lb extinguisher from CTC (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heavy-duty-1a10bc-fire-extinguisher-2-5-lb-0460078p.html#srp). It has the appropriate metal connection.

googlefish
    Participant

Same question for a 2014 Boxster 918. Any sources for fire extinguisher mount + fire extinguisher appreciated. Anywhere in the Toronto area or online that ships to Canada.

Wayne Spiegelberg
    Wayne Spiegelberg
    Participant

Mantis Racing will make you a custom bracket for $120.00 plus $80 for extinguisher.

Rod Nagy
    Rod Nagy
    Participant

Wayne,
    If you need to be able to reach your extinguisher with your belts on how is this possible with a harness?
    I can’t even reach my sunglasses when I forget them on the dash after buckling up. 🙂
    Rod

Wayne Spiegelberg
    Wayne Spiegelberg
    Participant

Rod, I agree with you. Unless you`ve got really long arms we are all in the same boat.

Since Paul Neto posted the requirement earlier, maybe he can answer.

Trust me, if my car is on fire Im going undo my belts first, then grab the extinguisher and get out of the car. Im guessing that 9/10 chances the fire is accessible from outside the car not inside.

Cheers Wayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.