Loose items

Welcome Forums General Forum Loose items

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DaveOsborne 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Perpixel
    Participant

Can we go more in detail over what is a “loose item”? It create some frustrations and awkward situations at the staging.

Here a list of stuff seen,

407 ETR Transponders
    Glasses on the sun visor
    Garage door remotes
    Tissue box
    Hat
    Clothing items
    Mobile Phones

To me all this stuff qualify for removal with the “metal to metal” rule. Also What about glove box? Some are loaded with stuff.

Next question would be about mounting gopro and stuff like that. Does double sided 3M tape on gopro mount qualify? Need an extra metal wire for safety?

Larry F
    Participant

I must confess I totally forgot about the 407 transponder, it is hidden up behind the mirror, and only spotted by someone at staging Sunday afternoon (kudo’s to the inspector). My understanding is there should be minimal stuff in the glove box and it must be locked. The one I had trouble with was the passenger floor mat. My fire extinguisher mount sits on top of the Velcro anchor points for the floor mat, making it extremely difficult to get out and worse to get back in, with me having to bend the mounting bracket to create enough room room to disengage the Velcro.

Adam Holland
    Participant

“Loose Items” is fairly clearly defined as anything that is not physically bolted/mechanically connected to the car with fasteners.

So (at least as far as i’ve ever interpreted it) that means no suction cups, no clips, no tape/adhesives, etc.

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

As Adam says above, if it is inside the car and not bolted down, it is a loose item. Now we could get silly and say that carpet is glued not bolted, but I think you get the idea. The reason for this rule is that in the unfortunate event of an impact, loose items become projectiles and anybody in the car, Driver or Instructor are put in additional danger. Now I doubt anyone will get mortally injured from a flying Tissue Box, but a Mobile Phone could easily become more than a distracted driving hazard. Heavy items inside the glovebox can also come hazardous if the door pops open in an impact.

I do not believe that properly installed OEM carpet mats in the drivers footwell are a problem, it is the aftermarket loose mats that pose the real risk of bunching up and getting caught under the pedals. The caveat here is ‘properly installed’ with secure fasteners. Not sure if Velco comes under that heading, but if it is OEM and the mat is not able to move without purposeful pulling, it is probably OK. To respond to Larry’s issue with his passenger floormat, you really shouldn’t have to remove that at all. It is not a pedal hazard and if it is that hard to get out, it is not a loose object risk. Likewise hats and light clothing stuffed behind the seat on the floor are not really a problem, although entire wardrobes are certainly not encouraged.

Suction Cups and the fasteners used on those 407 transponders may seem like a secure mounting, but they are not. For lightweight objects like the transponder the risk is low, but GPS and some Cameras are quite heavy and the vibration, especially on cars with modified suspension, can easily cause them to come loose.

Ultimately it is the Tech Line and Staging area personnel that will decide what is acceptable and what is not. Protests wrapped in a $100 bill can be forwarded to the Track Team if you don’t agree!

Adam Holland
    Participant

I was speaking with an instructor friend who said while riding in his student’s car this past weekend a quick distracting flash of white flew across in front of their faces.

What had happened was there were paper serviettes tucked in the map pocket on the passenger door. The wind from having both windows down sucked one out of the pocket and blew it around inside the car.

This doesn’t sound like the end of the world but I think anyone who has ever driven an older air cooled 911 can admit, even the windshield wipers can distract you if your mitts accidentally happen to bump the switch going into a corner.

Limiting those distractions is good practice.

DaveOsborne
    Participant

Two cautionary tales come to mind. We had an Instructor hit hard in the hand by an improperly installed fire extinguisher once. It didn’t break any bones but the top of his hand was blue for a couple of weeks. The other was a student I was teaching. At the end of the back straight a tennis ball came out from under his seat and lodged under his brake pedal. He learned to enter corner eight at speed and I learned how to crush an armrest while screaming “brakes”!

Since those good old days our criteria has become a little less casual, but it’s all in the interest of your safety.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.