Magnetic Car Numbers

Welcome Forums General Forum Magnetic Car Numbers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Wild Weasel Wild Weasel 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Stevie33
    Participant

Can anyone advise where to purchase magnetic number signs for DE events, preferably ones that do not need taping around the edges to stay affixed while tracking. I am out in Newcastle, so a close source would be preferable.

johnqadam
    johnqadam
    Participant

Any sign company can do it. But there is an easier solution.

Dave Osborne, City Signs, Kingston, is not only our DE Chair bout also in the sign business. He would bring your car numbers to the next track event.

[email protected]

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

I think magnetic numbers will probably need edge taping at some point – especially if you track in the cold? Maybe ovals are better in this respect?

I think the back straight at CTMP always has had some remnants of magnetic numbers after/during CE events in the number of times that I have been there (all in cold/wet weather).

Stevie33
    Participant

Thanks to both of you John and Brian for your feedback. I have sent an e-mail to Dave Osborne so hopefully he can set me up with a set of new numbers.

paulneto
    Participant

I’ve used magnetic numbers from rennline and magnagrafik.com/.

They both claim tape is not needed but I do for sanity on the leading edge and on all edges when it’s cold or wet out.

Stevie33
    Participant

Thanks Paul.

DaveOsborne
    Participant

Just a note on magnetic numbers. I thought a couple of tips would help.

Ovals are less likely to grab air and go flying off like a frisbee. Some shops will say that you don’t need tape on the leading edge but that’s under normal use. The turbulence between 2 cars going 200 kph up the back straight is considerably higher than road use at the speed limit. The closer you are to each other is the higher the air pressure between you. So… no matter where you buy them or what they look like, if you use blue painter’s tape on the front edge, you will be less likely to buy them again.

Remember that they aren’t a fashion statement. They should be 6″ high, contrasting colors and an easy to read font. They are a safety device.

Wild Weasel
    Wild Weasel
    Participant

And remember… all the newer cars have aluminum doors. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.