Battery maintainer

Club News Forums General Forum Battery maintainer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nicknicolaou1
    Participant

I am looking to purchase a battery maintainer for my 2008 Boxster, since it is not driven every day and has discharged a new battery once already. Canadian Tire has a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery charger with a 2A trickle charge for battery maintenance at a cost of $44.99. This is much cheaper than the Porsche branded maintainer. Is there a real difference in performance/ quality?

John Adam
    Participant

I use one I bought at Canadian Tire. On sale at that.

It works fine. I find it handy to plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Sonny
    Participant

I’ve been using the CTEK US3300 maintainers for a few years now. It’s the same as the one Porsche sells (without the expensive Porsche logo). Can get one for about $80 when on sale somewhere.

John Adam
    Participant

Your item is on sale this weekend at Canadian Tire for $29. It’s time to buy it.

andy wright
    Participant

I also use the CTEK Battery Maintainer during winter storage. The difference between a ‘maintainer’ and a regular battery charger is that they employ some smart electronics to prevent the battery from being overcharged. Even on a ‘trickle-charge’ setting which is usually about 2 amps, the charger could cause the electrolyte in the battery to ‘boil’. If there is no load on the battery (normal in older cars), this can be a problem, but the newer vehicles have significant drains on the battery even when not in use (as you have found!). On older cars with a conventional charger the trick was to put a 12v light bulb across the battery terminals to provide a load.

For me the CTEK Smart battery maintainer works great, but for your application, a conventional charger will probably work just as well. Note, the “intelligent” moniker usually means it will sense if you have hooked it up incorrectly, although some do have other advantages. $29 seems like a good deal to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.