Car Storage Tips

Club News Forums General Forum Car Storage Tips

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ottom
    Participant

Hi Id like to comment on Stefans article on Storing Tips in the May Provinz:

Ive discovered relatively recently that some cars don`t really like to be stored with the suspension unweighted. On vehicles that I am familiar with (Im my own mechanic) this can cause very large stresses in the rubber suspension bushings. Some cars I have worked on require that suspension parts are only torqued up with the suspension fully weighted. Also, having the tires up in the air has the shock rods in an abnormal position ( minor issue, likely). A better solution is to use tire cradles. I make my own using old tires of the appropriate size. I cut off the sidewalls, section the tread and sit the car on these pads. A sawzall with a blade for metal cuts through tire tread with ease.

I dont like to use battery tenders because I don`t like to have devices powered when Im not there. I just go in and charge the battery every month or two with an intelligent charger. Seems to work. Im still running a 15 year old battery in my westfalia. BTW, It had been sitting for 15 years with a full tank. The fuel smelled like terpentine. It started after a few cranks, blowing the muffler!.

Also, use only Shell 91 Octane (I don`t have shell shares). It has no ethanol, which is really evil stuff. If you want to know about the effects of ethanol, look on youtube. Even Leno has a video on how evil it its. Some youtube videos also talk about the effectiveness of fuel stabilizers. If they ever stop making shell 91, the only solution for people with old cars might be to store them empty ( I do this on my motorcycles)

Otto M

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by ottom.
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

I haven’t read the article — no magazine yet here.

Costco Premium and Ultramar Premium are both ethanol free(Costco everywhere I think– Ultramar certainly where I am). Shell Premium I am not so sure is ethanol free everywhere (at least where I am the pumps don’t indicate it so) so that may be station dependent.

The problem with Ontario is that it is a requirement that gas stations average 5% over all retail sales so you never really know what percentage ethanol (or even if there is any) ethanol when the pump is labelled “may contain 10% ethanol). My understanding is that newer Porsches are OK with ethanol but older (not sure where the cutoff is -1996 and water cooled?) cars Porsche has indicated should not use gasoline with ethanol.

ottom
    Participant

Thx.I will check out the other stations re ethanol. From the shell website: 0% ethanol at every station in Canada

Brian Sullivan
    Participant

Just checked the Shell website and you are correct they state 0% ethanol. Maybe this is recent and I haven’t visited a Shell station in a while? The Ultramar and Costco have always been traditionally less expensive for me (Costco usually 5-10c per litre) so my habit is to buy there.

andy wright
    Participant

Shell V-Power 91 Octane has been Ethanol free (in Canada) since it was introduced. Many US States require all gasoline to contain various percentages of Ethanol, so Shell was forced to add it to their V-Power in those States. So far Canada has no such requirements. Shell V-Power is the only premium gas without Ethanol as far as I know, so the Costco Premium and Ultramar Premium are probably re-branded Shell V-Power. Good to know!

Brian Sullivan
    Participant

The requirements for ethanol content in gasoline I believe are provincially based. In Ontario retailers have to average 5% content across all brands sold. That is why they use the signage “May contain up to 10% ethanol” – so they can jig the percentage at will to meet their audit requirements.

My understanding is that the required overall percentage was due to rise to 10% this year and to 15% by 2025 — not sure if that is actually legislated yet so the whole landscape of what is available at the pump could change.

ottom
    Participant

One thing car enthusiasts could do is write Shell, and also buy the current stuff, even if they don’t need the octane. Im doing that now, but when the prices go back to normal, Ill have to re-evaluate that strategy,

One thing for sure, keep the tank absolutely full to the top when not driving a car to keep air and moisture out, and run any carburetors dry.

Brian Sullivan
    Participant

So my first time in a long time visiting an Esso station — the extra 20 minutes of running time with only 4 groups at the DE weekend meant I went through a whole tank and was running on fumes as I left Mosport so I was forced into the first station south on 115.

Some observations — they are the only station I have been at that has 93 Octane gasoline (the recommended octane my car and I think all recent Porsches?) and all indications at the pump point to the fact that any octane gas that they sell could contain ethanol. I see no indication on their website that any of their fuels are ethanol free.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.