DashCams

Welcome Forums General Forum DashCams

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brian Sullivan Brian Sullivan 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

I have looking into DashCams. From what I can tell the attachment methods for these products are either suction cup or double-sided 3m tape affixed permanently to the windshield. Is there any way to make either of these DE tech compatible? My understanding is that directly wiring (not an electrical wire) a camera to the rear view mirror (in addition to one of the above attachments) could possibly meet the requirement (true or did I imagine that?). I am thinking wiring using a tool like:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-in-safety-wire-twist-plier/A-p8434854e

Alternately can anyone suggest a product that would meet DE requirements?

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    Our rule is that the camera must be rigidly mounted to the car, which usually means bolted or screwed to the vehicle. Safety-Wiring a camera to your interior mirror might work, although I would defer to our Tech Chief for his input on that. One driver used the same adhesive that is used to mount interior mirrors in many cars to attach a camera bracket to the inside of his windshield and we did allow that as it was a rigid mount. On a Boxster you might be able to make a bracket between the roll hoops to mount a camera, provided it does not impede rearward vision too badly.
    Andy

Squadguy
    Squadguy
    Participant

I use a GoPro Hero5Black which I have in a housing bolted to my Tow Hook, which is screwed into the frame. The Tow hook attachment is made by the same firm that manufactured the Tow- hook. The waterproof housing was bought off e-Bay.

I use the GoPro remote to start and stop the video. I used to review the video post session after parking in the paddock, but with a larger volume memory card now in the camera, I just set it in the morning and forget it until I’m ready to go home, starting and stopping the camera as required.

After the day ends, I remove the camera, re latch the housing, and unscrew the tow hook.

I download the raw video off the card that evening, and therefore have an empty card for the next day. I spend snowy winter days editing the footage, and analyzing my mistakes.

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

I was thinking a more permanent DashCam — not specifically for DE days. One that would record all the time when driving (or parked – as some have that option).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.