DE Fire Extinguisher and Brackets

Club News Forums General Forum DE Fire Extinguisher and Brackets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Spiegelberg
    Participant

Now in stock at Mantis Racing in Oakville, just in time for May DE.

mcarpani
    Participant

Thanks Wayne. Just had it installed at Mantis. Great job…matched equally by the people at the shop.

Stevie33
    Participant

I just noticed the requirement in the DE Handbook that the Fire extinguisher bracket must be “metal mounted to metal”. I have a 2008 911 4S cab that has what looks to be a factory installed fire extinguisher mounted to the front of the driver’s seat, but it is a half-shell plastic bracket with a quick-release strap around the mid section of the extinguisher. By all appearances this looks like a very secure arrangement and I question why the “metal to metal” bracket requirement. Can anyone advise if I need to replace this set-up if I enrol in the DE program?

andy wright
    Participant

Hi There,
    The reason for the “metal-to-metal” requirement is that the fire extinguisher is a heavy object and we have had instances of the plastic brackets failing. The Extinguisher then becomes a projectile and dangerous to anybody in the vehicle. I agree that the factory mount should be strong enough, but it is a risk that we, and the insurance company that provides us with our event insurance, cannot take. We have had an instance where an extinguisher broke loose and hit an instructor in the head. If it were not for his Safety Helmet, he would certainly have been injured.
    Andy

Stevie33
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Andy. I see the point! Can you suggest a supplier closer to the east side of Metro TO as I am out in Newcastle?
    Bob Stephenson

andy wright
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    Good news is that if this is your first DE Event, we allow you to participate – one time only – without a Fire Extinguisher. This is so you can judge if you like the programme enough to continue in which case you need to spend the money for an approved Fire Extinguisher installation. Any of the approved Tech Centres in the East end of Toronto should be able to help you with this.
    You will need to remove the factory Fire Extinguisher for the DE event. You can leave the bracket, provided it doesn’t interfere with your instructor sitting comfortably.
    Andy

Stevie33
    Participant

Ok thanks Andy, that helps. As mentioned in my earlier post, the bracket is mounted on the front of the driver’s seat so it will not interfere in anyway with the instructor.
    Bob

Stevie33
    Participant

Just one more question Andy (for now!). Is there a similar first DE Event exemption regarding the helmet requirement?

Wild Weasel
    Participant

I was told here that the factory fire extinguisher was sufficient to pass tech inspection. This is the first time I’ve heard anything about having to remove it and get another one.

Can anyone clarify this? Or does this only apply to certain models or something? Mine is a 981 Boxster with the factory extinguisher.

I asked specifically because the capacity is slightly below the one listed in the DE specs. I didn’t know anything about the bracket requirements.

andy wright
    Participant

Bob: No such first-time allowance for Helmets. We value your head more than we do your car!

Wild Weasel: Not sure who told you that the Factory Fire Extinguisher is OK for DE. I will check with our Tech Line Chief to confirm, but my understanding is that the DE Specified Extinguisher must be used.

Wild Weasel
    Participant

It’s worth noting that there’s no helmet requirement for the IDE on the Friday. If you’re not yet signed up for the DE over the weekend, and you end up not getting in, then you won’t need a helmet.

There’s a thread here somewhere about the 2015 rated helmets coming out in October. If you buy one before then, it’ll be a 2010 rated helmet and only good for 5 years. If you’re going to use it often, then it won’t matter as replacing it in 5 years won’t be an issue. If you don’t use it often though, then you’ll want a 2015 one if you have the option.

I’m on the waitlist for the August DE so I’m holding off on buying a helmet until I find out whether I’m in or not. If I get in, then I’ll buy a 2010 one. If I don’t, I’ll wait until October and get a 2015 helmet for next year.

andy wright
    Participant

Good point about Helmet requirements.
    Definitely not required for the IDS, only for DE Events.
    I’m be inclined to look for a good used 2005/2010 Helmet just for this season, but do make sure it fits properly.

Helmet Standard

Stevie33
    Participant

Thanks for the advice on the helmets guys. I too am on the waitlist for the August DE and I had read that post about the 5 year rating limit and the non-availability of the 2015 models. Guess I ‘ll try to round up a loaner or purchase a used one in case I do get accepted for the Aug event.

andy wright
    Participant

The Track Team has discussed this matter and we see no reason to deviate from the current Driver-Ed Fire Extinguisher requirements.

So each vehicle participating in a UCR DE Event must be fitted with a Fire Extinguisher (minimum 2.5lbs Dry Chemical or equivalent) properly installed, metal to metal. This means a metal bracket and retaining strap bolted or screwed firmly to a metal panel in your Porsche. NO PLASTIC MOUNTING BRACKETS !! If you don’t want to drill holes buy a custom mounting plate that bolts to the front mounting points of your passenger seat. The Fire Extinguisher must be within easy reach of the driver.

There will be no exceptions, even for Porsche Factory OE installed Fire Extinguishers. One aspect that we are particularly concerned about with regard to the factory extinguisher is that the majority appear to be installed on the drivers seat mounting. If the fire bottle ever did break loose it could easily get jammed under the pedals. For this reason alone, we will require these factory Fire Extinguishers (but not the mounting or bracket) to be removed from the vehicle while the vehicle is on-track.

I hope this has clarified matters, but don’t hesitate to ask further questions if it hasn’t.

Andy

Wild Weasel
    Participant

Mine came on the passenger side. Any allowance for that, or do I still need a new one? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.