How can I get confirmation that the event is “on”? If the weather is actually as forecasted, it seems quite unsafe to expect students to brave a forecast of freezing rain in the morning, ice pellets in the afternoon, and freezing rain in the evening. Would the track even be open in those conditions?
I have tried contacting the registrar but have received no response.
The possibility of bad weather does not cancel track events. While your Instructors won’t send you out on a sheet of ice, wet ground will actually enhance your learning experience. It’s the Instructors who bear the brunt of bad weather, as you will either be in the classroom or toasty warm and dry in your car. So don’t forget to thank them for their efforts. They volunteer for this.
I work outside and I can tell you from personal experience that weather forecasts are rarely 100% correct. Your Chief Instructor and his crew of brave men and women will work around the changing weather and make sure that you complete the IDS. Of course it’s entirely up to you if you decide not to go, however keep in mind that the IDS is a requirement for you to attend any track events this season.
The Driver Development Track has been rented and there will be no alternate dates offered as they are booked for the season. So this is your confirmation. Every track date throughout the season is “on” as scheduled. Relax and have fun. For the most part it will just be wet and you will really advance your car control.
I’m worried about actually getting there. I’ve got summer tires, and environment Canada has issued a freezing rain warning, with 5cm of ice pellet accumulation.
This is shaping up to be the worst ice storm we will have seen all year. I would think twice about going out in freezing rain/ice pellets in my 4×4 F150, let alone my 911 with summer tires. Despite having sunk almost $900 into tomorrows day (registration and insurance), I’d really rather not die/wreck on the way there or home tomorrow.
Dangerous winter driving conditions are expected on untreated roads Saturday and Sunday.
Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots will become icy, slippery and extremely hazardous. If you must travel, keep others informed of your schedule and destination and carry an emergency kit and mobile phone. Beware of branches or electrical wires that could break under the weight of ice. Extended and widespread utility outages are possible. For information on emergency plans and kits go to http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/
If it is too dangerous to travel to the event tomorrow, I expect UCR to either issue a refund or at least a credit towards a future event.
The IDS is still on for tomorrow, rain, sleet, snow or shine.
Use your best judgement regarding the weather and road conditions to and from the event, the last thing we want is any accidents. You do not have to bring your Porsche to this event. It is always recommended, but not essential. The skills you will learn are applicable to any vehicle.
UCR will not issue refunds due to weather. We may offer credits towards another event IF we are forced to cancel the event due to unforeseen circumstances, BUT bear in mind that our second IDS on April 28th is presently fully booked with a waiting list. We still pay for the track and catering regardless of the weather.
Firstly, I hope nobody attempted to get out there on summer tires. That would be a disaster!
That aside though, for anyone who hadn’t switched or had an alternate vehicle to use, I hope you’re out there having a blast today!
While nobody would ever wish for these conditions, you’re definitely getting an experience like no other! I’m betting the skid pad is a riot!
Braking at the cones? BAHAHAHA!!! 🙂
I can’t imagine what tip-toeing around the track might be like but, while you’re probably not learning much about apexes, I’m betting you’re learning how to control a slide at super slow speeds which is way better!
I sincerely hope everyone had a great time despite the weather. I’ll never forget my IDS. 🙂
While I have no doubt that the conditions at the Driver Development Track were as miserable as they were everywhere else in Ontario, 27 brave men and women graduated the course and are all set for the upcoming track season.
While I applaud the Instructors, who stood out in the weather for their student’s benefit, I also applaud those who made the decision not to travel in those conditions. It’s always a personal choice and giving up the event fee to guarantee your safety is a pretty reasonable choice to make.
While our final IDS is full there are a couple of other programs that UCR will accept as our IDS equivalent if you still wish to participate in our track events this season. Just drop me an email and I’ll let you know which ones we accept.
This has to be the craziest winter in 20 years. When you consider that it started in November we’ve had a six month winter this year. I could use some warm sun on my face. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it doesn’t snow in May!
I wish to thank everyone again for all their efforts yesterday, we couldn’t have done it without our dedicated instructors! Although we had terrible weather, we still managed to learn and participate. Looking forward to a great series of track events this season!