In Car Cameras

Club News Forums General Forum In Car Cameras

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Rose
    Participant

I am going to my second DE at CTMP in May. Really enjoyed my first last September.

I want to shoot some video with my GoPro knockoff and wonder what the rules are regarding their positioning and attachment to the car. Can I use the adhesive clip attachment on the inside of the front window? Or does the camera have to be attached with a screwed on clamp to something? How much windscreen can I obscure?

Last year I borrowed a camera and attached it to the horizontal bar behind the driver’s seat of my Cayman S but the view of the track was somewhat disappointing, although my instructor’s and my helmets were vividly captured.

DaveOsborne
    Participant

Hi David,

I wanted to jump in and explain the rules, so there are no misconceptions. Our rules indicate that anything in your car, while being driven on the track, must be mounted metal to metal.

While we have no objections to you recording your laps for your continued education, safety is always our first concern. Suction mounts are not permitted anywhere on the car. Your flying camera would also be a danger to corner workers or observers if it wasn’t properly secured on the outside of the car.

Since suction mounts aren’t allowed you won’t have to deal with the issue of an obscured windshield. Recording your laps for your continued education shouldn’t interfere with your actual education. You should also ask your instructor if he or she minds you recording the session. They are there to aid in your performance, not to star in your movie.

That brings up the privacy issue. Posting your video on social media has become common place. While I don’t like the idea, we aren’t the YouTube police so we really can’t stop you from doing it. An issue is created when you post the private information of others. Your posting should never include another driver’s incident or another driver’s license plate or image without their permission. Insurance companies can watch YouTube and quickly run the plates to determine if they are insuring any of the participants. A public post could quickly ruin someone else’s day.

The short answer is; if you’re recording to improve your driving and assist you in correcting your errant driving line, then make sure your camera is mounted safely and the video remains private.

Thanks,
    Dave

David Rose
    Participant

Thanks Dave. You raise some excellent points I hadn’t thought about.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.