Mandatory Front Tow Hooks for DE

Welcome Forums General Forum Mandatory Front Tow Hooks for DE

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by andy wright andy wright 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DaveOsborne
    Participant

All Porsche cars come with a tow hook, so please install yours in the front of your car for the July DE. In order to facilitate quick removal of stalled cars, a properly installed front tow hook has been added to the Registration Rules. A front tow hook will be required for all future Driver Education events and will be checked at the Tech Line. It’s your track time that we’re trying to save!

See you track side!

danielearthy
    Participant

If you do not have a tow hook where can you get one?

Also, I’m lucky to have seen this by coming through the website.

It would be nice if there were communications sent out to all the registrants indicating that there is a rule change.

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

This is not a rule change, it has always been a requirement, but I think over time we maybe had not reinforced it with people new to the DE programme. We will be updating our DE information to include this.

As far as where to get a tow-hook, all cars came with them as part of the OEM tool kit, although I know many get lost when ownership is transferred. My suggestion would be either a Porsche Dealer (who can certainly get you one, but probably doesn’t have one in-stock) or, more likely one of our recommended DE inspection centres, who may have one lying around. Beyond that any of the Porsche Parts Recyclers will almost surely have some.

Best regards,

Andy

danielearthy
    Participant

Got it, thanks for the advice Andy. I will look into these options and have one for this weekend.

Cheers!

Larry F
    Participant

While my first thought when I saw cars driving with the tow hook installed, I can see where it would save time having the hook installed. One car I had took 5 minutes and some WD40 to install, and I would hate to hold up others on the track for that.

I installed mine a week ago before the safety inspection. I noticed it was marked DE, which while it could stand for Drivers Ed, probably stands for Deutschland.

gsachs1162
    Participant

Hi Andy, my Carrera 3.2 comes with the front tow hook permanently attached to the right front underside. The rear towing hook, however, can be attached to the rear bumper only. Is that OK? Thanks, Gregory

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

Hi Gregory,
    I believe we are only mandating a front Tow-Hook, although if you have a rear one it would be good to fit that also, or at least have it in the car, in case the front tow-hook is not accessible. The welded hoop under the front valance is fine – I also have that on my ’72.
    Andy

mblaszak
    Participant

Not that it matters, but NO 2 litre or 2.5 litre normally aspirated 944, 924 or 924S comes with a front tow hook or a location to which one can be secured.
    That option was not available until the turbo body style car.
    I presume all participants with those vehicles will be required to have something fashioned for this purpose.

andy wright
    andy wright
    Participant

Hi Markus, I can’t speak for all 944’s, but my 924S has a welded hoop under the front bumper to left of centre (looking at the front) that serves as a tow hook. We do require a tow hook at front or back of the car, so if not fitted from the factory an aftermarket one would need to be installed.
    Andy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.