Snell Certfied Helmets

Club News Forums General Forum Snell Certfied Helmets

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Larry Funnell
    Participant

I have registered for IDS and DE this eyar and need to find a helmet. Not sure yet whether it will be a SM or Sa helmet – my current bike helmet is 4 years old, so I will need to replace it next year, earlier might be better. I was cruising through Arai’s website and downloaded a file that had a link to Snell, where I found a listing of SA2015 (along with SM2015) helmets. I thought I would share it as it might be of some use for others:

http://smf.org/certlist/std_SA2015

andy wright
    Participant

Hi Larry. Just to clarify, SA Helmets are recommended for our Driver Education programme. In UCR we do allow SM rated helmets, but that is not the case in all PCA regions. SA rated means (amongst other things) they are certified for multiple-impacts, whereas SM helmets are (in theory) only rated for a single impact.

Larry Funnell
    Participant

Ideally I would want an SA that I could also use on the bike, but my understanding is that the SA may have less peripheral vision and not be legal for riding. I need to do more research, but everything I read about the SA suggests they are better constructed.

andy wright
    Participant

I have been using a full-face SA Helmet for years with an extra-large opening for better peripheral vision. I am no bike rider, but I find it gives me greater visibility to the side. BELL call it their Sport-EV, but probably other manufacturers have similar models.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.