Summer or Winter tires for IDS on April 14?

Welcome Forums General Forum Summer or Winter tires for IDS on April 14?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  barthrh 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

barthrh
    Participant

What should I have on my C4? My gut says to keep the winters on unless the weather approaches 15C. Weather looks like 10C high, although we’re still a ways out.

Brian Sullivan
    Brian Sullivan
    Participant

I think 7C is the normally mentioned performance cutoff point for summer/winter tires. Apparently some insurance policies actually specify times (November 1 to April 30 I heard someone mention was common here in Ontario).

My inclination would be to use summer tires unless your insurance specifies otherwise.

Adam Holland
    Participant

My entirely unprofessional opinion would be (weather permitting i.e. not snowing) to switch to your summer rubber.

Winter tires are like driving on marshmallows and the exercises you will be taking part in would be better suited to a non-winter tire (all season/summer performance). You’ll get better feedback/confidence on car behaviour and your perception of what the car is doing.

It often ends up raining anyway. Have fun! And any other questions ask away.

Wayne Spiegelberg
    Wayne Spiegelberg
    Participant

I couldnt have said it any better than Adams comment other than bring your longjohn`s along too.

C u there…Wayne

barthrh
    Participant

Thanks a lot everyone! I’ll plan for a switch to summer. I’m really looking forward to it, cold or not!

Rod Nagy
    Rod Nagy
    Participant

Make sure you wash and wax your car before you come.
    There will be a concours event at the end of the day.

barthrh
    Participant

Thanks! Will show up shiny, but the forecast is for a ton of rain. With the snow today, less sure than ever about losing the winter rubber.

glib
    Participant

I’ll be there with you but it’s a bit worrying looking at the forecast right now, they’re calling for 20+mm of freezing rain!

barthrh
    Participant

Mother nature has definitely decided on what tires to use, but I agree that the freezing rain takes things to a whole new level.

Will they call it off if it’s outrightly hazardous just to get to the track (as it would be if there is freezing rain)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.