By Kathleen Wong, Director and Socials Co-Chair. Pictures by Kathleen Wong (from Provinz July 2014 page 11)
Our June 10th social event was hosted by Downtown Porsche on a beautiful summer evening. As soon as we entered the showroom, we were greeted by the latest Porsches – 911 Carrera 4S, Boxster, Cayman, Panamera S E-Hybrid, Cayenne S, Macan S and Macan Turbo!
The event began at 6:30pm with a warm welcome speech by Mrs. Helen Ching-Kircher, Dealer Principal, President and CEO of Downtown Porsche. Helen strives for perfection and under her leadership, Downtown Porsche received the prestigious “Premier” dealership designation – one of a handful in North America.
Following the welcome speech, Chris Plater (General Sales Manager) tested the Porsche knowledge of approximately 90 PCA-UCR members and guests with a trivia quiz. See quiz below if you want to test whether you are a Porschephile. The answers can be found at the end of this article.
1. What does the word Macan mean?
2. What year and where was the first Porsche’s victory in North America?
3. What Porsche model was driven by Tom Cruise in the movie “Risky Business”?
4. What year was Downtown Porsche founded?
5. What was the last year the air-cooled 911 was made?
6. How much horsepower does a 918 Spyder have?
7. What is the project code for the Porsche sports-prototype racing car for the use in the Le Mans Prototype 1-H (LMP1-H) category of the FIA World Endurance Championship?
Chris kindly handed out prizes to those who got the right answers to the quiz. Walter Murray, the President of PCA-UCR, also presented a free introductory driving school course (to be held on Friday August 15 at CTMP Driver Development Track, valued at $295.00 and donated by our Track Chair Dave Osborne) to a lucky winner—Amanda Grujicic, who is the niece of Kevin Kurnik. To express our appreciation of Downtown Porsche’s kind hospitality, Walter presented a bouquet of flowers to Helen.
At 7:00pm, we were all treated to a delicious BBQ with German sausages, salads, fresh fruits and cold beverages. We sincerely thank Helen, her husband Dr. Peter Kircher, Chris and all our friends at Downtown Porsche for a perfect evening.
Answers to the trivia quiz above: 1) Tiger; 2) Le Mans in 1970; 3) Porsche 928; 4) 1977; 5) 1998; 6) 887 hp; 7) Project code is 919.